First Day of School!
Today is Elisabeth's first day of kindergarten!
Elisabeth was SO excited about starting school. She brushed her teeth without being reminded last night, and was in bed by 7:30pm without any complaints! She told me she was going to wake up "super duper early" today. And that's exactly what she did! At 2:44am, she appeared at my bedside! I told her it was way too early to wake up, and to go back to bed. She woke up again at 6:17am and was up for the day!
She was so excited to get dressed for school and was very proud that she was able to tie her own shoes. (When we went back-to-school shopping, she specifically picked new sneakers that lace up versus the velcro ones, because she likes tying her own shoes.)
In our district, we have the option of half-day or full-day kindergarten. The full-day kindergarten is a popular option with limited space. Enrollment started last spring and the full-day program filled up immediately, so we just planned to have Elisabeth attend the half-day morning session.
At the Back to School open house at her school yesterday, I learned that two spots in the full-day kindergarten program unexpectedly opened up yesterday. We were given the option to enter our name in a lottery if we wanted a chance to switch from half-day to full-day, and we were told that we'd receive a call by 8pm last night letting us know if we got in. I threw our name in the hat (as the full-day program had been our first choice) and took Elisabeth to meet the full-day teacher just in case.
Our call came at 7:15pm....we got in! Good thing I had bought her a lunch box to go with her new backpack!
So, today was Elisabeth's first full day of school! We had to be at school by 7:35am today, and all the kindergarteners had to put on bright yellow t-shirts and name tags.
We got to spend some time hanging out with Elisabeth and her new class. Then it was time for the parents to say their final goodbyes and step aside (and wipe their tears away). The teachers led the kids into school while everyone cheered. Elisabeth was beaming the whole time -- she just couldn't wait to get to her classroom. As the kids were walking into the school, I noticed that she was holding hands with another little girl, so she's already making new friends!
I can't wait to pick her up this afternoon and hear how her day went!
3 comments:
We can't wait to hear all about her first day of school. So Lynn how are you holding up?
Elisabeth! I'm so proud of you and I know you are going to do so well in your Kindergarten class!!!
Eli and Laurel are good and Kevin and I just interviewed for jobs in the local school system!! Yay!
By the way...school starts very early out there, doesn't it? Huh.
I am impressed they let all you parents come in and hang out for a bit - it wasn't that way for us at ALL! It's great she was so excited; I am sure she will love it!
Post a Comment