Sunday, January 4, 2009

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Yesterday was my 35th birthday and I wanted to do something fun. And boy, was it ever fun!

Elisabeth, Allison, and I kicked our day off at the Home Depot Kids Workshop. Fred usually takes Elisabeth to these workshops, but since he is obviously in Colorado (he made it there safely, by the way!), and since Grandpa H. had to sing at a funeral on Saturday morning with his church's Resurrection Choir, the responsibility fell on me. I had fun helping Elisabeth make some lovely football helmet bookends (while trying to keep Allison from tearing the store apart).
Next, I took the girls for a wild ride through Home Depot in one of their fun shopping carts. The girls loved "driving" the car with their own little steering wheels. Who knew that fun could be so cheap (free, actually)?
After going home for lunch and a quick nap, we headed to Grand Rapids for a slumber party at my oldest friend Sarah's house. Sarah and I met in kindergarten and have been inseparable ever since. I was her maid of honor when she got married; she was my matron of honor. She is Elisabeth's godmother; I am her daughter's godmother. She's a very special friend, and it's hard for me to believe that she's been an important part of my life for 30 years!!!

I was looking forward to spending a low-key night with Sarah while all the kids played together, but Sarah had a surprise for me. She had arranged for surprise visitors to show up all night long to help me celebrate my birthday! Several of my oldest friends showed up, along with my brother Jeff and Sarah's parents (who have known me as long as I've known Sarah -- 30 years)!!! It was such a fun night and I am so fortunate to have such wonderful friends. (And this is exactly why it will be hard to move to Colorado...friends like this are hard to find.)

Here's me with some of my oldest friends -- Carrie, Sarah, and Julie. These ladies were all bridesmaids in my wedding!
And here's Elisabeth with her special boyfriends in their pajamas this morning before we had breakfast and went to church together. Aren't they cute together?
THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone for celebrating my birthday with me and for such a fun night! I could not have asked for a better way to celebrate my birthday, and I am so blessed. I love you all so much!

No comments: