Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!

Halloween is finally here! It's a windy, cold, and wet evening in Kalamazoo -- but that isn't stopping us from having fun. Tonight I'll share a bunch of pictures, and then I'll hand out some awards!

Allison wasn't liking the costume thing too much:
Allison was MUCH happier inside where it was warm and dry:


(Just for entertainment and comparison purposes, here is a picture of Elisabeth exactly 3 years ago, wearing the exact same outfit and sitting on the exact same toy):
Princess Belle couldn't wait to hit the streets! Tonight is cold enough that she needed to wear her winter coat on top of her costume.

Halloween isn't complete without pumpkins! Elisabeth directed the carving of both pumpkins. Allison's pumpkin (on the left) had 2 bottom teeth, just like her!

OK, time for this year's Halloween awards. I'm giving out the Best Costume award to....the adorable 1-year old identical twin boys who came to my door dressed as Thing 1 and Thing 2 from Dr. Seuss.
Worst Costume goes to....the idiot who showed up on my doorstep without a costume on. Come on, people, it's Halloween! If you aren't going to dress up, don't bother coming to my house.
And the grand prize Thumbs Down award goes to....all the parents who are actually chauffering their kids from door to door in vehicles. What happened to letting kids experience the joy of running from house to house on Halloween night? Yes, I realize that it's a bit windy and cold out tonight. So what? A little cold never hurt anyone. For the 2nd year in a row, I am scratching my head as I watch SUVs, mini-vans, and even golf carts pull up in front of my house. A bunch of kids will hop out of the vehicle, run up to get candy from me, and then run back down the driveway and hop back in the vehicle. Mom and/or Dad will slowly drive to the next house where they lather, rinse, and repeat. Last year, we actually had a dad chauffering his kids door-to-door on his John Deere lawn tractor.
I dunno, maybe I'm missing something but it just doesn't seem like Halloween when the kids are driven around like that. (Is it any wonder that our nation has so many overweight kids? If they can't even walk door-to-door on Halloween night...) Maybe I'm a Halloween Scrooge, but I'm glad Fred and Elisabeth are out there walking/running from house to house. That's what it's all about!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My sister's neighborhood does the same thing. But I think they almost have to with each lot being 2 acres. At least for the little kids, they'd be exhausted after just a couple houses! Still, it does take some of the fun out of it. One of those times when I am glad we live in an old school neighborhood with smaller lots!